Intro to Fabrication - Week 6 - Rotating Display: IT WORKS

full_working.gif

The criteria this week was to create a project based around a well-mounted motor. My enclosure project a couple weeks ago also had a motor and ended in abject failure, so I decided to have another go at the same idea with the new knowledge I have acquired in the weeks since. And this time I succeeded!

rotary_diagram.jpg

Most of the core components from that project stayed the same: the enclosure, the motorized spinning platform, and the light inside. However I decided to simplify the specifics. Instead of using a continuous servo being controlled by an Arduino Nano, I bought a geared ‘TT’ DC motor which would spin at about the same rate and not require a microcontroller. This simplified the whole setup considerably because it also meant that I could operate the LED simply by having a momentary switch complete the circuit to the light. The only brief hangup was that I was not sure how I was going to power this new setup, since the first design simply got power via the Arduino. I was still attached to the idea of powering the device via USB, and so I simply dug up a USB cable in the cable bin in the shop, cut one end off and wired it directly to my simply circuit. It works perfectly with a USB wall wart rated at 5 volts, and I included a 5 volt regulator in the wiring just in case it gets plugged into something that is rated higher.

internal_gif.gif

My initial plan for mounting the motor was to create my own ‘U’ bracket just using a strip of aluminum. This way I would be able to make it the perfect shape to screw down to the bottom of the enclosure. However to my pleasant surprise, when I received the motors I realized that not only did they already have screw holes in them, but I also had the perfect size screw already in my bin. As a result all I had to do to attach the motor to my enclosure was drill two holes in the bottom and thread the screws through.

IMG_6593.JPG

Another addition I made to this version was the purchase of shaft couplers to correctly attach the aluminum shaft I had to the motor. On the other end I took the spool I used last time and cut one side of it off to create a flange that actually fits perfectly on the end of the shaft. And then I glued the small display holder onto that flange.

As a final note, one reason that was proposed to me after the fact as to why my initial project may have shorted is because I somehow forgot to take note of the fact that the container itself is in fact conductive. So before I went ahead with this second version of my project I sprayed the inside of the enclosure with a matte finish, just to be safe!

fabStefan SkripakComment